[Hpr] There may be issues with the FTP server

Dave Morriss perloid at autistici.org
Tue Dec 29 06:11:44 PST 2015

On 29/12/15 14:01, Jon Kulp wrote:
> On 12/29/2015 07:56 AM, Dave Morriss wrote:
>> On 29/12/15 10:33, Ken Fallon wrote:
>>
>>> After the server move we noticed that the FTP upload is not working and
>>> it fails with "No Route to host". Dave and Josh tracked the issue down
>>> and have fixed it.
>>
>> Sadly there's still an issue with FTP, but there's a work-around until
>> it's finally fixed.
>>
>> Using the ancient 'ftp' command is one solution. I just tried it, though
>> I had to install it first.
>>

> Yesterday after failing with FileZilla I went with the FTP command
> just like this
>
>   ftp hackerpublicradio.org
>
> and it worked perfectly using the "put" command once connected to
> the server.
>
> The curl stuff is way too fancy. ;)
>
> Jon

Haha! You could say the ftp stuff is not fancy enough :-)

As one who wrote a GUI FTP client many many years ago using Expect/Tk to
talk to the "one true" ftp client underneath I'd say ftp is still pretty
good.

I do find curl is a truly wondrous thing though, and it is used in many
of my scripts.

Dave