[Hpr] How to check if the intro and outro are added

Dave Morriss perloid at autistici.org
Wed Dec 30 12:49:20 PST 2015

On 29/12/15 13:51, Carl D Hamann wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2015 1:22 AM, "Ken Fallon" <ken at fallon.ie
> <mailto:ken at fallon.ie>> wrote:
>> That looks very good. Did you manage to get it working ?
>
> I've gotten their code to compile. So that's one egg for the souffle. If
> I can get it to reliably produce the same output, I'll be happier. I
> have a feeling I need to spend some more time reading the docs, as what
> I'm experiencing is almost certainly user error. Whether I get it
> working or not, the process is definitely worth doing a show on.

I was curious to find out more, so I grabbed the latest code, built it
and ran it on some audio.

Using a recent HPR show in my podcast queue and running
echoprint-codegen on the entire thing I found I got a chunk of JSON with
metadata and a humongous fingerprint string. I tried restricting the
scan to a few seconds but only got an error message:

"error":"could not decode"

I then thought about extracting the first n seconds from the audio,
which I did with sox, and this scanned fine and generated less data.
Then I started wondering how much you'd need to chop off a new show
given that any intro might be in a multitude of formats and of a
variable length.

Then I realised I was probably out of my depth.

I'll be fascinated to know how people cleverer than I am work this out,
and look forward to the show on it!

Dave