[Hpr] I ain'tnt dead yet: quick question (well, a couple)

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Mon Feb 9 05:07:10 PST 2015

On 2015-02-09 03:23, Ivan Privaci wrote:
> First: were there ANY complaints at all about problems with any of
> the files from HPR1393 (the audio-metadata episode with all the extra
> bonus metadata in them)? With all the effort to load the metadata up
> as much as possible without making them invalid, I thought there'd be
> at least ONE "I still use my great-grandaddy's steam-powered
> hand-crank mp3 player and this file made the flyball governor
> pop up and fly across the field and knocked our
> prized dairy-goat unconscious!" or something

No there were no complaints, nor did I expect there to be. We have had
very few (< 10 probably < 5 ) complaints about audio ever. So getting no
complaints may mean there were no issues, or it may mean that the issues
were not noticed.

We produce a lot of shows and if one week there were only 4 shows
instead of 5 then it's likely it will go unnoticed. The presence of
something is easier to notice than the absence of something. Even if it
is noticed then the chance that someone will report it is about 10%
given our current listener v contributor ratio. Most likely someone will
think it's a problem on their side and just delete it.

Firstly, if anyone has a steam powered and/or hand cranked mp3 player
then please record a show telling us about it.

Just to let you know what if it's a choice between a basic mp3 file that
can play on someones mp3 player and a more complex one that can't, then
sorry but the basic mp3 file will win every time. I'm not going to
discriminate against someone because the only mp3 player they can afford
is an old hand me down that they got at a good will store.

To that end I got a gracious offer of old audio players and I plan to
fix them and make them available to the community. When I say I'll fix
them, I of course mean find someone to volunteer to fix them and of
course record a show about it.

- --
Regards,

Ken Fallon