[Hpr] (One thread closes, another thread opens...)

Ivan Privaci epicanis+hpr at dogphilosophy.net
Mon Feb 9 11:02:13 PST 2015

On Monday, February 09, 2015 06:06:24 PM Ken Fallon wrote:
> On 2015-02-09 17:01, Ivan Privaci wrote:
> > On Monday, February 09, 2015 02:07:10 PM Ken Fallon wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> Just to let you know what if it's a choice between a basic mp3 file that
> >> can play on someones mp3 player and a more complex one that can't, then
> >> sorry but the basic mp3 file will win every time. I'm not going to
> >> discriminate against someone because the only mp3 player they can afford
> >> is an old hand me down that they got at a good will store.
> >
> > On reflection, this is obviously a touchy topic for some reason.
> >
> > If anyone knows of any problems (not just "serious" ones but things like
> > "that field was too long and it messed up the display on my player while
> > it
> > was running" as well) I still would like to know for future articles or
> > recordings[...]

> My issue was with your, all be it joking, disregard to the fact that
> people may be using older media players. These people may have a good
> reason to use players not capable of handling new formats. Ranging from
> not having the means or desire to upgrade. I also did not agree with
> your conclusions that after a sample size of 1, we can assume there are
> no problems.

Why do you feel that my asking if there were any problems was "assuming there
are no problems"? Not only was I asking because I wanted to know if there WERE
any problems, I was actually HOPING there were, so I'd have something to talk
about (while admittedly expecting that there should not be any, given
completely valid files - especially for the mp3, paradoxically.  Ogg Vorbis is
the only one where I actually know for certain of a previous problem).

At the very least, I'd been hoping someone would come forward with a "now that
you mention it again, I had a similar-sounding problem with my old player
years ago so I tried your file on it just now and..." story.

Without that, all I have is "well, a few years ago somebody had trouble with
large pictures in ogg vorbis files but other than that there may or may not be
problems for a few people" which isn't really worth making an episode over.

> That said, I am often wrong and I have learnt a lot by been proven so. I
> am regularly over ruled on topics here and I would be very annoyed if I
> drove someone away for expressing an opinion. So please continue to
> contribute as I am also very passionate about the subject of metadata.

I've got plenty of topics to contribute (I'm still updating my "potential
topics" page from time to time, and I need to go through the huge pile of
scientific publications I've been saving for more possible "Stir-Fried
Stochasticity" episodes), so dropping one isn't going to make much difference.

SOMETHING about my presentation or commentary on the topic seems to
be suggesting that I'm going to push device-breaking changes and/or
insist on major alterations of HPR's production and/or other unproductive
rabble-rousing. It's not worth causing stress for people...especially not for
you, since I'm pretty sure you do WAY more work than anybody else (even
taking into account that several other people are also doing quite a lot of
work) to keep the important computational systems of HPR running properly. I'd
rather not end up being the guy who metaphorically walks in happily shouting
"HEY CHECK OUT ALL THE COOL THINGS I CAN DO WITH THESE POWERFUL MAGNETS
I FOUND" while obliviously standing next to the bank of hard drives and
causing work-stopping heart-attacks, no matter how cool and useful I think
magnets may be...

(The rest of your email looked like it might be more interesting to other
people in addition to me, so hopefully it's okay that I've split that to a
separate email/thread.)