[Hpr] The End (of this topic for me)

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Tue Feb 10 01:24:20 PST 2015

On 2015-02-10 09:34, Ivan Privaci wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 07:37:41 AM Ken Fallon wrote:
>> On 2015-02-10 07:21, Klaatu wrote:
>>> [...]some of
>>> us (I'm counting myself in) are interested, on some level, to learn what
>>> will break mp3 players with regards to meta data.
>>>
>>> While I don't think it's the right place to do experiments in the main
>>> feed[...]
>>> - klaatu
>>
>> You nailed it on the head as far as I'm concerned.
>
> This is why I don't think I should ever touch this topic again around here:
> there are now TWO people who appear to think my point was to break people's
> players, and one who believed that the point was to find ways to make things
> hard for future contributors.
>
> hpr1393 was a demonstration of valid metadata, not a carelessly released
> destructive test. If I had believed there was substantial risk of breaking a
> listener's player I wouldn't have even made the episode. I DID kind of hope
> somebody WOULD come forward to say they'd had a problem for much the same
> reason a biologist would like to meet bigfoot: the unlikeliness  of the event
> would be interesting and educational (not to mention, I was assuming, "of
> interest to hackers"). Even then, any such unlikely problem would take the
> form of "the player's display was messed up while this episode was playing" or
> at worst "this file wouldn't play at all, though all the other HPR episodes
> do", or in the EXTREME case "my player locked up and I had to wait for the
> battery to run down so it would turn off", not "my mp3 player has been damaged
> by this data.".
>
> I had actually thought that having the episode on audio metadata actually
> being properly tagged with examples of the metadata being discussed would be
> interesting and useful for someone who might have a real interest in the
> subject - I know I would have if someone else had made the episode.
> Unfortunately instead of "Wow, you can do that and still be standards-
> compliant?/That's an interesting use-case I wouldn't have thought of/Hey, that
> functionality could be handy for this other audio project I'm involved with"
> followed by "I'll have to look at this file once I get to the end and see what
> it looks like, I conveniently already have it right here because I'm listening
> to it right now!" I'm getting "you probably broke a bunch of people's stuff
> and made HPR look bad and they're just not saying so" and "I'd stop
> participating because of this" and "yeah, breaking people's mp3 players IS
> relevant and interesting but you shouldn't have done it here".
>
> I'm regretting even submitting this episode at all, let alone bothering with
> the demonstration metadata labors.
>
> I think I should just recuse myself from this topic entirely around here.
> The way today is going just this last reply probably means there are now 5 or
> 6 people who think I'm trying to break things, 2 or 3 more who think I'm
> [...]

For my point, I am just recommending been cautious. You have my sincere
apologies if I came across as anything other than having the best
interests of HPR at heart.

I see you are passionate about this, and you also have proven to have
the technical understanding of the specifications, so please go ahead
and implement any changes that you consider will benefit the community.

I would suggest that you announce the changes in the community news and
the shows immediately prior to the changes. That will give people an
heads up to report any issues that may arise. The reason I suggest doing
this is because the mailing list only reaches a tiny fraction of the
community, and doesn't include all the hosts that contribute on a
regular basis.

The transcoding script is kept here
https://gitorious.org/hpr-scheduling-system/hpr-scheduling-system/source/e62a6c449571dec574d8c7dc7cc573440da8f307:transcoding/hprtranscode

We use a VPS to do the transcoding and you can add your changes to the
workflow there. Please send me your ssh key and I'll create an account
for you on the server we use to do the transcoding.

- --
Regards,

Ken Fallon
http://kenfallon.com