[Hpr] New year's post mortem

Carl D Hamann carl.hamann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 03:38:20 PST 2015

On 2015-01-08 20:27, Klaatu <klaatu at straightedgelinux.com> wrote:
> And in terms of re-listenability, I personally think that the NYE show
> has zero potential. I can't imagine why anyone would want to listen to a
> show of people just hanging out not really talking about anything. Then
> again, people are strange so maybe I'm wrong!

I'm definitely strange, and I do enjoy the unstructured discussions.
The NYE show always seems to cover topics that I find interesting and
entertaining but wouldn't even think of them during the rest of the
year to do a show. I think this is a natural product of having people
on the show together who may not normally interact. The 24/26 hour
format is a unique opportunity to bring together people from timezones
that wouldn't normally interact in real time.

On 2015-01-08 17:52, Jason Dodd wrote:
> I like the show as is but would probably also like an unconference,
> too.  Was the show this year bad?
>
> I thought the specific point was to be pub like for new year.  If it's
> shifting to another day it wouldn't be the same, which might not be
> bad.  Do you think we'd be able to get speakers for an unconference
> during the holiday season?

I did not notice any difference in the quality of conversation this
year over prior years. While I may be in the minority with this, I
even enjoyed the Monsanto debate. I love the idea of an HPR
unconference, but I think it would be difficult to schedule that many
talks during a holiday, especially with the round-the-clock nature of
NYE. Maybe this is something to look at for a different time of
year--perhaps organize a week to do 5 live mumble sessions whenever
hosts wanting to give a talk are available, with the shows released
the following (or other subsequent) week.