[Hpr] Git repository

sndchaser at cerebralrift.org sndchaser at cerebralrift.org
Wed Jun 3 04:43:18 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-03 03:27, Klaatu wrote:

> So, I'm voting gitlab. (We also use the self-hosted version at my
> work,
> seems to work well).

Let me toss in a complete alternative to git. I know that everyone
seems to love git these days, but I became quite impressed with fossil a
few years ago.

The big reasons I like fossil:

- Single file repositories
- Self-contained versioning system (ie there isn't a need for external
tools like trac or redmine)
- Everything you need: scm, web-interface, ticket system and wiki all
in one
- cgi enabled for web hosting
- Runs on every platform (it's written in TCL)
- Running distributed / forks of repositories is easy

And the whole thing is, of course, Open Source.

If you haven't looked at it, it's worth spending some time on their
website: http://fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki

George