[Hpr] Git repository

Jason van Gumster jason at monsterjavaguns.com
Wed Jun 3 05:50:35 PDT 2015

sndchaser at cerebralrift.org wrote:

> On 2015-06-03 03:27, Klaatu wrote:
>
> > So, I'm voting gitlab. (We also use the self-hosted version at my
> > work,
> > seems to work well).
>
> Let me toss in a complete alternative to git. I know that everyone
> seems to love git these days, but I became quite impressed with fossil a
> few years ago.
>
> The big reasons I like fossil:
>
> - Single file repositories
> - Self-contained versioning system (ie there isn't a need for external
> tools like trac or redmine)
> - Everything you need: scm, web-interface, ticket system and wiki all
> in one
> - cgi enabled for web hosting
> - Runs on every platform (it's written in TCL)
> - Running distributed / forks of repositories is easy
>
> And the whole thing is, of course, Open Source.
>
> If you haven't looked at it, it's worth spending some time on their
> website: http://fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki
>
> George

Just adding to that, I've used fossil for a few small projects (not entirely
code) and I've been quite impressed with it. The integrated wiki and ticketing
*is* a bit light, so you may run into trouble if you're trying to do anything
that a more dedicated wiki or tracker does (or if you want to extend
functionality).

It's also worth mentioning that that there is a free github-like hosting
service for fossil over at http://chiselapp.com. I've not personally used it,
but it is mentioned on the fossil website.

  -Fweeb