[Hpr] True Life Travel Stories

James Toebes james at toebesacademy.com
Wed Mar 25 05:30:40 PDT 2015

Worse I had was a trip within the US.     Traveling from Florida to
North Carolina.

I had spent a week at the mouses' house.  I was flying with my entire
family.  Going through the check point,  I went to grab my carry on
bag.  The TSA agent stopped me and said the bag needed to go through
again.   So I waited,  it went through.  I was told it needed to be
manually searched.   I have nothing to hide in the bag so think nothing
of it.

My family had already made it through and were waiting for me.  The
search is taking a few minutes and I am feeling nervous.  Did someone
put something in my bag?  Stupid me thinks that making jokes at this
time is a good way to alleviate the nervousness.   DO NOT JOKE WITH
TSA.  Someone had told me that one time but I forgot....

He pulled my Bible in it's zipper cover out of the bag.   I said be
careful with that.  He stopped,  looked at me and deadpanned why? I
replied, 'It makes you think'.     Then, just as stoically,  he said (a
little loud),  I am looking for a bomb in here.   I FROZE. All the
agents (and most in line) turned to look at me.  I was intensely aware
of the number of staff.   My wife decided she needed to move her and the
kids a little further away.

He pulled everything out of the bag,  could not find anything. Finally
satisfied that I had no threat, He indicated I could continue.  I
repacked the bag in complete silence.  I found my wife who did not want
to talk to me for a bit.   The rest of the trip was uneventful.

When I got home I wanted to figure out what they may have seen.   I
emptied the bag completely.   Found a bunch of cables, chargers,
cameras, and phones in the bag (for the whole family).  But nothing that
seemed out of ordinary.   I felt the bag then found it had a secret
internal pocket I did not know.  My heart stopped.   Some weird
cylindrical container in it.  I slowly found the opening and pulled it out.

Did I mention I was traveling with kids?  Little ones at that. Kids like
toys.   My littlest apparently places two small travel size play-do
containers in my bag.   She was so happy that I found them.   So play-do
and electronics make traveling interesting.

I am pretty sure I am now on a list some place.

BTW,  If the family gets the nerve to brave TSA again,  I would not mind
visiting New Zealand.   Never been south of the Equator.