[Hpr] Metadata bloat

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Sat Nov 28 06:23:10 PST 2015

On 2015-11-28 14:00, Fifty OneFifty wrote:
> Several months ago, I researched why sometimes after disconnecting my
> Sansa clip would hang at "refreshing media" after disconnecting it fro
> my PC.  One reason suggested was an excess of information in the meta-
data.

I solved the problem using http://www.rockbox.org/

/me runs

> I don't know if anyone was still sticking two the old guidelines for
> meta-data, since it hasn't existed on the site since the upload form w
as
> created.  Anyway, the old instructions called for the author to insert
> the full show notes into the comments.

http://hackerpublicradio.org/recording.php#no_metadata

<quote>
No need to add Metadata to the file

There is no need to add any information to the file as that will be
inserted based on the information you fill in when you upload the show.
</quote>

So for the latest show it calls
http://hackerpublicradio.org/say.php?id=1910

HPR_summary: This is H P R episode 1910 entitled "QMMP--The Qt-based
MultiMedia Player". It is hosted by  Frank Bell and is about 12 minutes
long. The summary is : "QMMP is a simple media player inspired by Winamp
and XMMS."
HPR_album: Hacker Public Radio
HPR_artist: Frank Bell
HPR_hostid: 195
HPR_comment: http://hackerpublicradio.org QMMP is a simple media player
inspired by Winamp and XMMS.
HPR_genre: Podcast
HPR_license: CC-BY-SA
HPR_title: QMMP--The Qt-based MultiMedia Player
HPR_track: 1910
HPR_year: 2015
HPR_duration: 691

The HPR_comment field above is added in line 227 by:
http://gitlab.anhonesthost.com/HPR/HPR_Public_Code/blob/master/workflow/
hprtranscode#L277

This field is limited to 100 characters which falls well within the
specs/norms for mp3 and vorbis

>  I'm not doing that anymore and I recommend anyone still following the
 practice desist.

@5150 is this directly related to HPR shows and if so which ones?

- --
Regards,