[Hpr] Wed 2015-12-02: hpr1913 - UPDATE TO SITE

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Sun Nov 29 11:29:10 PST 2015

On 2015-11-29 19:20, David Whitman wrote:
> With these new changes

They are not new changes. As with most policies on the site it has been
discussed on the list at one time or another. Anything on HPR can be
challenged at any time by bringing it up for debate on the list itself.

The reason for the getting permission for a reservation from the list is
that there is a cost involved in doing shows out of sequence. First we
need to manually monitor the queue to make sure the show is posted on
time. Then when we do get the shows we then need to process them
manually outside the normal (semi)automatic workflow.

It's happened before (a lot) that shows were booked on the calendar in
order to act as some kind of anti-procrastination tactic. This didn't
always work, which left slots that need to be filled at the last minute.
This meant we had to run around to find a filler show to fill the just
vacated slot. Then others got annoyed as they saw the filler show as
someone "jumping the queue" when they had spent the time and effort to
get their material in on time.

Now once you have a show, you upload it and pick the day you want it to
go out.

> I request July 8, 2016.
> dw

If your show is already recorded then upload it right now and pick that
slot.
http://hackerpublicradio.org/request.php?id=2070
Once it's processed it will appear automatically under the normal workfl
ow.

Anyone should only need to make a reservation if they want to release on
a particular slot but can not record the audio until later. The mailing
list should be given a reason why they can't record the show and why
they should be given special treatment.

I haven't seen any of the request challenged to date.

- --
Regards,

Ken Fallon
http://kenfallon.com