[Hpr] New Year Show ?

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Mon Nov 30 02:44:52 PST 2015

On 2015-11-29 22:21, Fifty OneFifty wrote:

> Thanks Ken for the work you do to organize the site and make submissio
ns
> hassle free for everyone.  I did notice something in your additions th
at
> merits discussion on the list.
>
>> The following are standing reservations:
>> - - The days following new year
>
> When I saw shows already scheduled for the 4th and 5th of January (the
> 2nd & 3rd being the weekend).  I figured the consensus was we weren't
> going to host a New Years Eve show this year.  There hasn't been any
> buzz about it on the mailing list.  I do think we have learned the ful
> 24 hours is too ambitious unless the holiday falls on a weekend.  If w
> do a show, covering Europe and the continental US is probably sufficie
nt
> (sorry Klaatu), or would doing even less be more manageable?
>
> So we need a consensus on the list, are we doing NYE this year and if
so
> when to when?
>
> 5150

Splitting this off to it's own topic otherwise Dave will blow a fuse.

I didn't explicitly make the booking this year yet.

Of the two shows scheduled, the community news is booked automatically
and we usually just fold in the new year show into that. That just
leaves Klaatu's show.

- From a HPR point of view, the New Year show actually seems to have a
negative impact on contributions, with few participants translating into
regular hosts.

- From a personal point of view, I have noticed that any of the technical
topic I covered on the New Year Show were missed in the volume of
traffic. They would have been better released as their own show.

That said, it is a fantastic way to catch up on old friends that you
haven't heard for a while. I have a lot of commitments during that
period so it's not a great time for me to be away from the family. I did
see a few people talking about the New Year Show, but when I approached
them about it none of them seemed interested in volunteering to do it.
Let alone send an email to the list about it.

It's starting to get a bit late to get out the message to other
podcasters as many now record a few weeks in advance. So if there are
people that want to run it, step forward now.

- --
Regards,

Ken Fallon
http://kenfallon.com