[Hpr] Health of HPR

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Fri Sep 11 11:24:09 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I am concerned as to the health of HPR, and I touched (went on a rant to
be honest) on this in the Community News show hpr1851 :: HPR Community
News for August 2015.

We have 16,495 subscribers and 260 slots per year, so we need to have
only 2.5% subscribers contributing to have a different host for every
day. Unfortunately only 62 managed to contribute a show in the last 365
days. I don't need Charles in NJ to tell me that that's only 0.38% of
our subscriber base.

As a project that is supposed to be a "Community Podcast", but we're
looking less like a bar camp and more like a TED talk.

It gets worse. Dave ran the query of how many shows were contributed by
each host over the last 365 days. It shows that 50% of the shows have
been contributed by just 5 hosts. This is not to say that submitting
multiple shows is bad, far from it. But it's the difference between
wanting to submit multiple shows and *needing* to submit multiple shows,
that I'm concerned about.

So a few questions for the list:

- - Is this a problem ?
- - If so, how do we fix it ?

*Please* do not derail this discussion about your intentions to record a
show. I have a in box full of "I plan to do a show about this" or "I'm
definitely doing a series on that". More than one are from myself.
Basically if it's not on the server, it's not a show.

You can always add a topic to the requested topic page.
http://gitlab.anhonesthost.com/HPR/HPR_Public_Code/blob/master/www/reque
sted_topics.html

More Info:
http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1851_HPR_Health_2015-09-06.ods