[Hpr] Getting in new contributors

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Mon Sep 14 00:55:26 PDT 2015

Hi All,

It might surprise people to know we had 16,495 unique subscribers last
month, and were they all to post one show the queue would be full until
August 2078 :) Unfortunately we are not seeing even a fraction of those
people submitting shows.

If you head over to the calendar page and look at the graphic. The green
line shows the number of hosts in the queue. Over the last year this has
rarely gone above 14 and hovers between 5 and 10 at any given time. Even
when we have a lot of shows in the queue, the number remains low.
http://hackerpublicradio.org/calendar.php

I asked Dave to run a query on the database to get a view of how the
burden of producing shows is spread, and the news is not good.

We have 260 slots but unfortunately there were only 62 unique hosts that
submitted shows in the last 12 months.

The news is actually much worse as more than half of the contributions
were delivered by only five (5) hosts. Think about that, six months of
HPR shows given by just five people.

That is in no way to say that submitting multiple shows is a problem. We
all get bursts of enthusiasm where the inspiration is flowing, but I
know many of those shows were submitted early because we needed them.

As you know HPR is supposed to be an active participation venue in the
vain of a "bar camp", or LUG Meeting. However the numbers show that it
is actually more like a lecture theatre, where people come to passively
participate.

So the question is how do we get more community participation ?

(I would very kindly ask you not to derail this discussion with
intentions to do a show. If it's not on the server, it's not a show.)

You can always add a topic to the requested topic page.
http://gitlab.anhonesthost.com/HPR/HPR_Public_Code/blob/master/www/reque
sted_topics.html

- --
Regards,