[Hpr] Getting In New Contributors

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 14 13:00:26 PDT 2015

I was amazed and delighted to learn that HPR has anything like 16,000 subscribers during a single month. However, that makes the contributor statistics in percentage terms all the more dismal.

While there are doubtless lots of subscribers who listen to every episode regardless of the subject, there must surely be plenty who go to the website and just glance at the episode titles to decide what to download and what to ignore. If they don't subscribe to this mailing list and don't really read the show notes then they could be unaware of the current situation.

The intro/outro to each episode gives mild encouragement for everyone to submit a show, but perhaps the point needs to be made with a little more emphasis. How about an episode about HPR itself - its history, aims and so on, perhaps with contributions from several hosts. If 16,000 people have sufficient interest to visit the HPR website then a significant proportion of them will be interested in the background of HPR.

The irony of my approach is that it will yet again fall on the stalwarts to produce such an episode, as lightweight contributors like me don't have sufficient knowledge of how it all started. Perhaps a number of less regular hosts could also submit short contributions of a minute or so to say what it is they get out of HPR and why they have felt motivated to produce a show, even if only occasionally.

Regards

Beeza