[Hpr] Getting In New Contributors

Charles Thayer catintp at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 06:30:08 PDT 2015

Short of offering to join new prospective hosts for a Mumble chat to get their conversation with the HPR community started, I don't know how we could make the mechanics easier.

I think the problem is fear of sounding stupid or incompetent in front of a technically sophisticated audience. Very understandable. I have been there.

- I am put off by the sound of my voice in recordings.

- I have a speech impediment that forces me to speak slowly.

- When recording solo, I need notes to remember what I meant to say next.

And I did not know how to edit audio when I started. (Hint: Just send in your recording. We've heard ums and ya-knows before.)

My presentation is still hard for me to listen to, but I just send in the shows as soon as I can force myself to do it. It is hard for me, but no one else does what I do in quite the same way. Someone out there is waiting to hear what only you can say. Don't keep them waiting.

If anyone is reading this, don't overestimate our minimum standards for audio quality, or underestimate the breadth of our interests.

This is your community. Talk to us, please.

Charles in NJ

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android