[Hpr] Getting In New Contributors

Tue Sep 15 06:53:09 PDT 2015

Mike and similar,

Please don't let a hunch that you are not most qualified to speak on a subject prevent you from doing a show.

I'll present my rationale.

1. You're probably more qualified than you suppose.*
2. For every listener more qualified than you are, there are three to ten who can learn from you.*
3. An intermediate user of thing is a better teacher for a beginning user of thing than an advanced user thereof.*

* unsubstantiated hunches.

And now some more unsubstantiated blather:

I like not-purely-technical shows. Some of my favorites so far, are: smoking a pipe, highway noises, and making a baby. That said, there was also a good show on vmstat, which is pretty technical, and a bunch of good ones on bash.

On over-working the few and the proud, I have to hope they don't mind, because their voices are like old friends to me. I love knowing that Dave Morriss, Ken Fallon, Jon Kulp, and other regulars will appear every week or so.

I have no idea how to get more different contributors. Since I don't, I'll just regard this as a reminder to do a show, since I'm overdue.

I do still love the idea of repeats of old shows. Maybe I'll pull one of my favorites out and put bumpers on it saying how much I love that show, and submit that as a show. Not really. It's a fine idea, but it's not consistent with my idiom.

Hm. Maybe the last bumper could have Ken saying, "You probably owe me a show."

--
David L. Willson
Teacher, Engineer, Evangelist

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.