[Hpr] Hpr Digest, Vol 84, Issue 16

lostnbronx lostnbronx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:29:58 PDT 2015

I know this may seem heretical, but I'm not entirely convinced that
there IS a problem here, except in the area of running out of shows
(which is always a danger).  I mean, what exactly IS a community
podcast?  To my way of mind, it's a show where listeners are free to
contribute, with no (or few) restrictions.  That describes HPR right
now.

The issue I believe we're really talking about is how to get more
voices on the show.  That's a very worthy discussion to have, but I
don't think it represents a crisis.  It's similar discussions we've
had in the past about how to get more women or girls to contribute;
how to get more minorities involved; how to get "non-techie" people to
make shows; etc.  In other ords, how to be more inclusive.  We
reexamine these issues, and return to them time and again, the way a
dynamic community of people should.

I don't believe we have a different problem here than we've ever have.
Yes, there have been a lot of eps from just a few voices lately -- but
has the show seen a loss of subscribers because of it?  If not, then
the silent majority does not mind.  Why, I remember years past when
Klaatu had at least one show up per week -- he was podcasting demon --
but no one complained, because everyone loves his content.  If
anything, that kind of stability gained us subscribers.

So long as people feel they CAN participate in this great community,
then we're doing what we should.  This means we always encourage them
to participate IF THEY WANT TO.  They don't have to, and should never
feel pressured to.  They owe us nothing.  They listen to us.  They
give us their time and attention.  Those are NOT small things --
really, they're the most important things in the world, and they give
them up for free.

So long as HPR's listeners continue to know that they are always
welcome, a few of them here and there will inevitably feel the crazy
urge to record their thoughts and add them to the queue.  And when it
happens, no matter how seldom, we know that the system we've built is
working.  In my opinion that's the very definition of a community
podcast, and HPR is walking the walk.

-LnB