[Hpr] Getting In New Contributors

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Tue Sep 15 17:21:56 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-16 01:29, lostnbronx wrote:
> I know this may seem heretical, but I'm not entirely convinced that
> there IS a problem here, except in the area of running out of shows
> (which is always a danger).  I mean, what exactly IS a community
> podcast?  To my way of mind, it's a show where listeners are free to
> contribute, with no (or few) restrictions.  That describes HPR right
> now.
>
> The issue I believe we're really talking about is how to get more
> voices on the show.  That's a very worthy discussion to have, but I
> don't think it represents a crisis.  It's similar discussions we've
> had in the past about how to get more women or girls to contribute;
> how to get more minorities involved; how to get "non-techie" people to
> make shows; etc.  In other ords, how to be more inclusive.  We
> reexamine these issues, and return to them time and again, the way a
> dynamic community of people should.
>
> I don't believe we have a different problem here than we've ever have.
> Yes, there have been a lot of eps from just a few voices lately -- but
> has the show seen a loss of subscribers because of it?  If not, then
> the silent majority does not mind.  Why, I remember years past when
> Klaatu had at least one show up per week -- he was podcasting demon --
> but no one complained, because everyone loves his content.  If
> anything, that kind of stability gained us subscribers.
I agree with you up to this point, although I personally am more
concerned about how many benefited from the shows, over the number of
subscribers we have.

> So long as people feel they CAN participate in this great community,
> then we're doing what we should.  This means we always encourage them
> to participate IF THEY WANT TO.  They don't have to, and should never
> feel pressured to.  They owe us nothing.  They listen to us.  They
> give us their time and attention.  Those are NOT small things --
> really, they're the most important things in the world, and they give
> them up for free.

For your work with Cavalcade Audio you are correct, although I would
argue that even there there is the onus to contribute if not
financially, well then with feedback.

On HPR it's a different story and it's where the words "community
podcast" comes in. I made the analogy of a Ted Talk versus a Bar Camp,
or a Lecture versus a show and tell, or a Traditional Irish Music
Recital versus a Trad Session in the pub. There are different
expectations with regard to participation. There is no "they" there is
only "us". We all contribute shows so yes "they" do owe "us" a show
because we are all in this together.

> So long as HPR's listeners continue to know that they are always
> welcome, a few of them here and there will inevitably feel the crazy
> urge to record their thoughts and add them to the queue.  And when it
> happens, no matter how seldom, we know that the system we've built is
> working.  In my opinion that's the very definition of a community
> podcast, and HPR is walking the walk.
>
> -LnB

Remember that the people who submit the filler slots also have a right
to participate only IF THEY WANT TO. Have you not heard the shows where
people say, "I'm putting this out because we're a little short of shows
at the moment" ? It's probably easy to miss because of the quality of
the shows.

That for me is the crisis point, where someone has had to rush a show to
get it up on time. Sure I have a list of contributors I know I can hit
up for a quick show if needed, but it would be good if it was the
exception rather than the rule.

Just have a look at red line the graph
http://hackerpublicradio.org/images/hprstats.png Every time it goes
under 5 we start to plan for filler shows. I would like for the
community to collectively come up with a plan to spread the load.

- --
Regards,

Ken Fallon
http://kenfallon.com