[Hpr] HTML notes accessibility pointer

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Wed Apr 6 05:45:38 PDT 2016

Hello folks.

I just wanted to point out a little thing about how to make HTML show
notes more accessible to blind folks like me.

When you're linking to something in your notes, like the previous
episode in your series, please consider the method most screen-reader
users use to navigate between links.

All of the readers I have come across have a navigation key dedicated to
stepping through varieties of landmarks in an HTML page.  For example
the 'l' key to jump from link to link or the 'h' key to jump between
headers.

So, when using the keypress method of jumping from one link to the next
it is very poor practice to, for example, make only the word 'here' a
link in the middle of a sentence like 'Find the notes for episode N here'.

If there are multiple links on a page of that kind then repeated presses
of 'l' will just make the screen-reader say 'here, here, here, here,
here' as you go from link to link.

So, we then have to look at the surrounding text to identify what the
link is.

Likewise, if your notes contain the actual text 'http:// ... etc ... '
after words which say what it is, we just get a Web address and it's not
always obvious what it is.

Better to make the whole of the 'find episode 1 of galvanic frogs leg
spasm here' a hyperlink.

Here endeth the lesson on the third Wednesday after muck spreading.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer