[Hpr] HTML notes accessibility pointer

Dave Morriss perloid at autistici.org
Wed Apr 6 08:09:30 PDT 2016

On 06/04/16 13:45, Mike Ray wrote:
> Hello folks.
>
> I just wanted to point out a little thing about how to make HTML show
> notes more accessible to blind folks like me.
>
> When you're linking to something in your notes, like the previous
> episode in your series, please consider the method most screen-reader
> users use to navigate between links.
>
> All of the readers I have come across have a navigation key dedicated to
> stepping through varieties of landmarks in an HTML page.  For example
> the 'l' key to jump from link to link or the 'h' key to jump between
> headers.
>
> So, when using the keypress method of jumping from one link to the next
> it is very poor practice to, for example, make only the word 'here' a
> link in the middle of a sentence like 'Find the notes for episode N here'.
>
> If there are multiple links on a page of that kind then repeated presses
> of 'l' will just make the screen-reader say 'here, here, here, here,
> here' as you go from link to link.
>
> So, we then have to look at the surrounding text to identify what the
> link is.
>
> Likewise, if your notes contain the actual text 'http:// ... etc ... '
> after words which say what it is, we just get a Web address and it's not
> always obvious what it is.
>
> Better to make the whole of the 'find episode 1 of galvanic frogs leg
> spasm here' a hyperlink.
>
> Here endeth the lesson on the third Wednesday after muck spreading.

Thanks Mike, that's very informative.

I use Markdown for my notes (which I process with Pandoc, which give me
a few extra features). I generate links in the text by using references
such as:

	In the [last episode][2] we looked at

This refers to reference 2 which is defined as:

[2]: http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1986 "Introduction to sed -
part 2"

The result is that the hyperlink is the text "last episode" but there's
also a title attribute of "Introduction to sed - part 2".

I had assumed that that generated the most informative result.

I also use what has come to be the HPR standard of making lists and a
link section where the hyperlink is the URL itself, preceded by text
explaining what it is.

I'm slightly dismayed to find that this is not ideal. I even have
scripts that generate it!

By the way, how did you know I was planning an episode about galvanic
frog's leg spasms?

Dave