[Hpr] Proposed New Series

Dave Morriss perloid at autistici.org
Fri Apr 22 02:42:15 PDT 2016

On 22/04/16 08:41, Mike Ray wrote:

> On the subject of series...
>
> I've enjoyed Klaatu's recent shows on a couple of XML parsers for Python
> in the 'Little bit of Python' series.
>
> I use something called 'pyoo' to generate quite complex Libre Office
> spreadsheets and thought of doing a show for this series.
>
> Do series have owners?  In other words will Klaatu be upset if I make a
> show and put it in the series 'A Little bit of Python'?

There are series which are "owned" but I think this is an historical
feature or relates to time-dependent shows. I have tried to make sure
that any series I have suggested or caused to come into existence are
open to all, and I know that has been the trend lately.

This particular one was originally closed (I think) but is now open to
all, so go ahead. Sounds like a great topic.

If you examine http://hackerpublicradio.org/series.php the title, show
count and description are there for all existing series.

To be honest, I think the whole series thing needs to be reviewed and
rationalised a bit. I'd like to make it clearer what each series is
about, whether it's open for additions or not (e.g. SELF Talks 2009:
probably not), maybe something about the date range of the episodes in
it, and other stuff.

Oh, and we have discussed allowing shows to be members of multiple
series - something that the database design can't cater for now. That's
just crazy talk though :-)

Dave

Dave Morriss, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK | perloid at autistici.org