[Hpr] Proposed New Series

Dave Morriss perloid at autistici.org
Fri Apr 22 09:17:34 PDT 2016

On 22/04/16 16:42, Carl D Hamann wrote:
> On April 22, 2016 at 5:42 AM Dave Morriss <perloid at autistici.org
> <mailto:perloid at autistici.org>> wrote:
>> Oh, and we have discussed allowing shows to be members of multiple
>> series - something that the database design can't cater for now. That's
>> just crazy talk though :-)
>
> It seems to me that in many cases, we're treating series just like a
> tag--perhaps intending it to have more weight than the other tags, but
> I'm not sure that's really relevant.

Good point. That thought did cross my mind as I was writing that sentence.

Tags and series do have a lot in common.  The current difference is in
implementation. There's a series table in the database whereas the tags
are just a list of terms associated with an episode. You can perform SQL
queries on a series, but with tags it's messier.

Of course it has been suggested we manage tags in a more "database-like"
way, and I have a proposed way of doing it.

On the whole I like the idea of a series, similar to what we have now,
since it allows more descriptive text to be associated with each one.

> The one exception I do see is in the case where a single host presents
> several related shows where each builds upon its antecedents. Examples
> include Ahuka's Libre Office series and Dave's intro to sed series.

In my case I was careful to call the sed series "Learning sed" hoping
that others might be tempted to submit shows on the subject, giving
their experiences using it in scripts and so forth. I wanted to start
the ball rolling, in other words, as well as doing a joined-together
group of shows to try and de-mystify it a bit.

> Maybe we should limit series to this second usage or even scrap series
> altogether and just use a highly specific tag for such closely related
> shows (e.g., "Dave's introduction to sed" or "Ken's OsCon 2019 interviews".
>
> Does the community find value in series as a kind of "primary tag"?

Personally I'd quite like to see a better tag implementation as a means
of finding related shows, as well as a series concept.

Dave

Dave Morriss, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK | perloid at autistici.org