[Hpr] It's never too late to make an announcement! (re-post)

Michael mirwi at binary-kitchen.de
Fri Dec 23 07:33:25 PST 2016

Dear HPR community,

I feel guilty for bothering you, while not getting any shows done
myself. I'll give it a try never the less.
And I screwed up the text examples, so I post it AGAIN. Sorry for that.

The end of the year is approaching fast and so is the annual Chaos
Communication Congress (33C3) in Germany
(https://events.ccc.de/congress/2016/wiki/Main_Page). The project
"Chaosvermittlung", = chaos (field phone) exchange, will again be
playing around with a field phone network infrastructure.
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2016/wiki/Assembly:Chaosvermittlung

I'm working on a time announcement / talking clock service for that
system and am now in desperate need for voices for it! To make things
more interesting, I would like to make it alternate between different
languages and accents. Just imagine the voices of 5150, Peter64, MrX or
any of yours, announcing the time to us. See what I mean? Any help is
very appreciated, preferably in your native language. Perhaps Kens Kids
want to do one in Dutch?

Below are two example texts in English and German, that contain all the
bits needed to piece together an arbitrary time (10s intervals) to be
announced. My initial recording was less than 4 minutes long, and that's
all I'm asking for. Hand me that initial blob and leave the chopping up,
which takes ages in comparison, to me.

The text is strongly inspired by the German service I grew up with, but
it is merely a suggestion. I intend it to be a 24 hour clock and there
is one beep, well more like a blip, every 10 seconds. If you feel like
voicing a 12 hour clock, please go ahead. Use the text you feel is most
appropriate. Call it "beep" "stroke" "Summerton", X hours Y minutes,
X:Y, whatever feels right for you. Diversity is key. And don't hold back
your local accent, because that's all this is about. Whatever you do,
just make sure all the numbers needed are covered. Leave hints in
English for special things, like when the order of items is different in
a language or so.

Please include your information in the sound file, so we know whom we
have to give credit. Also a hint, where the particular accent is
located, if relevant. I expect any contribution and the data I extract
from it to be governed by a CC-BY-SA license and will make the final
data available, together with the bash script that does the work. Once
everything is working tidied up.

I'm also interested in "timeless" recording bits, that can be thrown in
randomly once in a while. Anything with 8 seconds or less will be fine.
I'm thinking of credits, mini promos or just fun stuff. Like "The next
tone is presented by ... from ...", "At the next tone it is 10s later
than at the previous one.", "You don't really want to know how late it
is at the tone...", "The next tone is the perfect time to go record
about your favourite congress item for Hacker Public Radio!" - You got
the idea.

To make things more complicated, I do not have a simple working file
drop at hand. I struggled a bit in piecing example code together and
getting settings right, to build a crude work around. It might only work
temporarily but will have to do for the moment.

Please drop any recordings and additional data here:
http://188.195.249.195/time_contrib.html

So now, Merry Christmas to all of you and all the best for 2017!
Kind Regards,
Michael (Mirwi)

P.S.: Yes Ken, I hear you screaming at the screen. But, as long as it's
not on the server, it's not a show <sigh />

Hopefully, at some point in the future, you will find content here:
https://wiki.chaosvermittlung.de

------- example text English ---------------
At the next tone it is 0 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds.
At the next tone it is 1 hour, 1 minute and 10 seconds.
(At the next tone it is) 2 hours, 2 minutes and 20 seconds.
() 3 hours, 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
() 4 hours, 4 minutes and 40 seconds.
() 5 hours, 5 minutes and 50 seconds.
() 6 hours, 6 minutes and 25 seconds.   !!! mind the seconds
() 7 hours, 7 minutes and 26 seconds.
() 8 hours, 8 minutes and 27 seconds.
() 9 hours, 9 minutes and 28 seconds.
() 10 hours, 10 minutes and 29 seconds.
() 11 hours, 11 minutes and 31 seconds.
() 12 hours, 12 minutes and 32 seconds.
() 13 hours, 13 minutes and 33 seconds.
() 14 hours, 14 minutes and 34 seconds.
() 15 hours, 15 minutes and 35 seconds.
() 16 hours, 16 minutes and 36 seconds.
() 17 hours, 17 minutes and 37 seconds.
() 18 hours, 18 minutes and 38 seconds.
() 19 hours, 19 minutes and 39 seconds.
() 20 hours, 20 minutes and 41 seconds.
() 21 hours, 21 minutes and 42 seconds.
() 22 hours, 22 minutes and 43 seconds.
() 23 hours, 23 minutes and 44 seconds.
() 00 hours, 24 minutes and 45 seconds.
(At the next tone it is 1 hours,) 46 minutes and  47 seconds.
() 48 minutes and  49 seconds.
() 50 minutes and  51 seconds.
() 52 minutes and  53 seconds.
() 54 minutes and  55 seconds.
() 56 minutes and  57 seconds.
() 58 minutes and  59 seconds.

------- example text German ---------------
Beim nächsten Ton ist es 0 Uhr, 0 Minuten und 0 Sekunden.
Beim nächsten Ton ist es 1 Uhr, 1 Minute und 10 Sekunden.
(Beim nächsten Ton ist es) 2 Uhr, 2 Minuten und 20 Sekunden.
() 3 Uhr, 3 Minuten und 30 Sekunden.
() 4 Uhr, 4 Minuten und 40 Sekunden.
() 5 Uhr, 5 Minuten und 50 Sekunden.
() 6 Uhr, 6 Minuten und 25 Sekunden.    !! bei den Sekunden aufpassen
() 7 Uhr, 7 Minuten und 26 Sekunden.
() 8 Uhr, 8 Minuten und 27 Sekunden.
() 9 Uhr, 9 Minuten und 28 Sekunden.
() 10 Uhr, 10 Minuten und 29 Sekunden.
() 11 Uhr, 11 Minuten und 31 Sekunden.
() 12 Uhr, 12 Minuten und 32 Sekunden.
() 13 Uhr, 13 Minuten und 33 Sekunden.
() 14 Uhr, 14 Minuten und 34 Sekunden.
() 15 Uhr, 15 Minuten und 35 Sekunden.
() 16 Uhr, 16 Minuten und 36 Sekunden.
() 17 Uhr, 17 Minuten und 37 Sekunden.
() 18 Uhr, 18 Minuten und 38 Sekunden.
() 19 Uhr, 19 Minuten und 39 Sekunden.
() 20 Uhr, 20 Minuten und 41 Sekunden.
() 21 Uhr, 21 Minuten und 42 Sekunden.
() 22 Uhr, 22 Minuten und 43 Sekunden.
() 23 Uhr, 23 Minuten und 44 Sekunden.
() 00 Uhr, 24 Minuten und 45 Sekunden.
(Beim nächsten Ton ist es 1 Uhr,) 46 Minuten und  47 Sekunden.
() 48 Minuten und  49 Sekunden.
() 50 Minuten und  51 Sekunden.
() 52 Minuten und  53 Sekunden.
() 54 Minuten und  55 Sekunden.