[Hpr] FOSDEM Send in your questions

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Mon Feb 1 02:03:11 PST 2016

On 2016-01-22 22:48, Nigel Verity wrote:
> Hi Ken
>
> If you speak to the LibreOffice people I'd be very interested in futur
> plans for Base. It seems to have received a lot less attention over th
> years than Writer or Calc. This is, of course, understandable but,
> whereas for plenty of users Writer and Calc are a worthy alternative t
> MS Word and Excel, Base is nowhere near an alternative to Access.
>
> If Base were to adopt an existing free file-based database as its
> backend, such as Sqlite, the LibreOffice developers could concentrate
on
> building a decent form designer to link to it, and adapt their already
> excellent visual query builder appropriately.
>
> It strikes me that few people would want to deal with the complexities
> of programming with LibreOffice Basic to build antiquated-looking form
> to talk to a highly inefficient HSQL database that almost nobody else
> uses. It's hard to believe that anybody running Windows would abandon
> Access in favour of Base, so what is the point of it in its present fo
rm?

> Regards
>
> Nige

The person I interviewed was not able to comment outside as he was not
on the Engineering team. Other than to agree that Base did need some
love. I did find out however that PostgreSQL developers are working on
integration with Base, which would then provide SQL support. But
remember that this is FOSDEM so if it is developed, it could be a long
time before it hits your desktop.

- --
Regards,

Ken Fallon