[Hpr] ***SPAM*** Re: speech synthesis during intro

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Thu Feb 11 08:47:45 PST 2016

On 11/02/2016 16:18, Ken Fallon wrote:
> On 2016-02-11 17:11, David L. Willson wrote:
>> I sometimes find the speech synthesis during the header/intro of the
>> episodes hard to understand.
>
>> I just found "say". I don't know if it's all in my head, but this seem
>> perfectly clear to me. Actually, on trying a longer sample, it's not
>> *perfectly* clear, but it does still seem *more* clear
>
>> How is the currrent intro created? I'd like to compare it with 'say'.
>
> http://gitlab.anhonesthost.com/HPR/HPR_Public_Code/blob/master/workflow/
> hprtranscode
>
> Specifically line 221
>
> echo "$HPR_summary" - | espeak -w hpr${ep_num}_summary.wav
>

>> Also, am I asking this question in the right place?
>
> Yes
>

> Regards,
>
> Ken Fallon

Perfectly clear to me and no doubt the other many thousands of blind
people who rely on espeak to provide their screen-reader voice.

Perhaps using svox-pico would provide a more 'other people friendly'
version:

https://github.com/the-kyle/picospeaker

Personally I think espeak is one of the jewels in the crown of open
source.  But I do understand some folks who have hearing loss at some
specific parts of the spectrum might struggle with it.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer