[Hpr] Amateur radio round table?

hpr at saner.net hpr at saner.net
Fri Jan 6 12:24:35 PST 2017

On 01/06/2017 12:14 PM, Klaatu wrote:
> Translate that to HAM (I'm making this up because I don't know):
> 0. Contact your local HAM licensing person, get trained.
> 1. Get a Foobar 6000SUX radio from www.ham.com
> 2. Tune in to frequency to 1337 hz
> 3. Announce your call sign
> 4. Profit!
>
> I believe if an HPR episode started with THAT, it would be invaluable to
> not just current HPR listeners, but HPR listeners for years to come.
>
> Just an idea!
>
> -klaatu

That isn't a bad idea, but there are some difficulties. In particular,
the process of becoming a HAM is not exactly the same in all countries
(at least I don't think it is). I could do the show you recommend and it
would be pretty accurate for someone in the US wanting to become a HAM.
I don't know how useful it would be for someone in another country. And,
truthfully, I don't know if the differences would be significant enough
to matter. I'd need to do some research to find out.

So. I am willing to make such a show and will start working on it, with
the understanding that what I say might be somewhat US centric. If then
others could do the same show focused on another country or region, over
time we might get the topic covered well, and we would fulfill Ken's
primary theme of... more shows please ;-)

Regarding the idea of a round table type of discussion. I'd be willing
to participate in such a thing.

Steve