[Hpr] tag interface

Dave Morriss perloid at autistici.org
Fri Jan 27 04:30:47 PST 2017

On 27/01/17 11:43, Clinton Roy wrote:

> is there an interface to search by tag?

No there isn't.

> Ideally I'd like to to be able to send people to
> http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?tag=lca2017
>
> or some such to get all the lca2017 episodes.
>
> Crosses fingers..

Here's where we are with tags:

- We're lacking tags for older shows; see
http://hackerpublicradio.org/report_missing_tags.php for the gory
details. I have been working in the background to slowly add tags, but
it's a laborious task.

- We're getting tags on many new shows, though not all. Each weekend I
upload the last weeks' shows to archive.org. My upload workflow warns me
of missing tags and I usually try and add them at that point. The tags
are used as 'subject' fields on archive.org items, so it's good to have
them at upload time rather than having to revisit the uploaded items.

- The HPR database holds tags in a character field (200 bytes) separated
by commas. This is not good for searching.

- We have no interface that will allow searching as yet.

Behind the scenes: I have a copy of the database which I have been using
to experiment with ways of storing and indexing tags. I also wrote
scripts which manage the tables I created, refreshing them from the
existing tag field.

I started writing an HPR show about this subject last year, to promote
discussion. It grew and grew and is currently looking like three shows.
I was working on it/them earlier this month, and expect to have the
first show ready after FOSDEM.

The bottom line is: storing tag data in CSV form is bad practice; a
better method is needed.

I am aware that the aphorism "the best is enemy of the good" applies
here and having something is preferable to endless waffle on my part :-)

Oh, I see Ken beat me to it. However, this contribution might still be
of some interest.

Dave

Dave Morriss, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK | perloid at autistici.org