[Hpr] tags, virtualization, virtualisation

Brenda J. Butler bjb at sourcerer.ca
Sat Aug 18 11:02:27 PDT 2018

Things are quiet here, ... too quiet ... : -)

I'm looking at writing tags-and-summary for show 0031 on
"Intel Virtualization Technology"

I see (thanks to the shiny new "show me all the tags" feature)
there are two existing tags for that:

 virtualisation: 12
 virtualization: 16, 48

Is there a preference for one over the other (risking a flame war, I
know) and should we collapse the existing two tags into one?

For now, I guess I will go with "z" as the show I'm working on spells
it with "z".

But I really have no preference.

Are we going to try to consolidate the tags, or just leave them as
they are?

consolidating:  pros

    makes it easier and more certain to search by tag

consolidating:  cons

    could weaken the community by causing division

My own preference:

I'd really like to use one set of tags for any given concept, and I
don't have any preference as to which one.

But if some people stronly prefer one or the other, (the "z" group and
the "s" group) we could really annoy some when we choose one side.

I suppose we could set the tag to "virtuali.ation" to avoid that
... it might work for longer names.  This sort of side-step is less
effective for shorter words.

But what about color/colour?  It is short, but also has different
numbers of letters in the two incarnations.

I suppose at this stage we just want tags, any tags, for the shows
that have none.  But this topic bears thinking about as the body of
published work grows.

bjb