[Hpr] tags, virtualization, virtualisation

Carl D Hamann carl.hamann at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 12:46:34 PDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018, 10:56 AM Dave Morriss <perloid at autistici.org> wrote:

> I don't know how soundex compares to what espeak can generate, but it
> would be interesting to look at these issue.

Soundex is fairly simplistic. It's a four character code that captures the
first letter of a word and the next three consonants, converting them into
numbers based on Anglocentric phonetic groupings. Double metaphone is a
similar algorithm that uses a little more context and supports a few more
pronunciations common to other languages.

I wonder if a more flexible approach might be to support a notion of tag
"synonyms". I haven't thought through an elegant way to store them in the
DB, but the rough idea is that a show's tags are stored as-is, but when
displaying or searching, its "effective tags" are the union of its "stored
tags" and any synonyms for those tags.

Of choose this comes at the cost of manually managing those
synonyms--unless every new tag automatically gets its soundex (or soundex
and espeak phoneme list and double metaphone) as synonym.