[Hpr] Kind awk word

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Thu Mar 8 09:12:55 PST 2018

I'd like to publicly thank b-yeezi and Dave Morriss for their amazing
series on awk.

tl;dr: I learned awk from their HPR series and have used it every day
this week. It has changed my life.

Long version:

I have to confess that I've had the O'Reilly "Sed and Awk" book on my
bookshelf for over 5 years (in fact, it's one maybe 6 books I brought
with me from the US to New Zealand when I moved). Tried to read it
several times, got basically nowhere.

And yet at least once a fortnight, I'd encounter some situation that
would make me think "I'll bet this would be really easy with awk. I
should really learn awk."

Still, no dice.

This has gone on for at least FIVE YEARS.

On Monday of this week, however, I had to write a vitally important
script for work. I knew this script was a perfect use case for awk, so I
downloaded the awk series, followed along, and by the end of the day,
I'd written my script. And yesterday, I wrote a converter script for
some RPG resources I'd had lying around for the past year, waiting for
manual conversion to docbook.

I've been using awk every day this week, and don't see myself putting it
aside...ever. Thank you for your series, guys. It's improved my Linux
experience, which I was pretty sure had already reached a pinnacle.
Nope, it just keeps getting better.

And I owe it ALL to HPR. <- cue the outro.

-klaatu