[Hpr] Kind awk word

Dave Morriss perloid at autistici.org
Thu Mar 8 14:21:40 PST 2018

On 08/03/18 17:12, Klaatu wrote:
> I'd like to publicly thank b-yeezi and Dave Morriss for their amazing
> series on awk.
>
> tl;dr: I learned awk from their HPR series and have used it every day
> this week. It has changed my life.
>
> Long version:
>
> I have to confess that I've had the O'Reilly "Sed and Awk" book on my
> bookshelf for over 5 years (in fact, it's one maybe 6 books I brought
> with me from the US to New Zealand when I moved). Tried to read it
> several times, got basically nowhere.
>
> And yet at least once a fortnight, I'd encounter some situation that
> would make me think "I'll bet this would be really easy with awk. I
> should really learn awk."
>
> Still, no dice.
>
> This has gone on for at least FIVE YEARS.
>
> On Monday of this week, however, I had to write a vitally important
> script for work. I knew this script was a perfect use case for awk, so I
> downloaded the awk series, followed along, and by the end of the day,
> I'd written my script. And yesterday, I wrote a converter script for
> some RPG resources I'd had lying around for the past year, waiting for
> manual conversion to docbook.
>
> I've been using awk every day this week, and don't see myself putting it
> aside...ever. Thank you for your series, guys. It's improved my Linux
> experience, which I was pretty sure had already reached a pinnacle.
> Nope, it just keeps getting better.
>
> And I owe it ALL to HPR. <- cue the outro.
>

> -klaatu

Hey klaatu, thanks a lot for your kind words. I'm so glad you are
finding the series useful. Feedback like this is a massive boost to the
motivation too.

I became very enthusiastic about Awk when I discovered it in the late
1980's, and have been a fan ever since. I know b-yeezi also uses it a
lot too, and I'd wager he's an enthusiast as well.

If we have managed to share our enthusiasm via HPR then I'd say it's
mission accomplished... :-)

Oh, and there's more to come. I'm currently working on episode 10.

Dave

Dave Morriss, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK | perloid at autistici.org