[Hpr] Harassment

Gabriel Evenfire evenfire at sdf.org
Sat Dec 21 21:44:04 PST 2019

Wow, need to watch this mailing list more closely!  What an interesting week.
A few thoughts FWIW:

  * I've no objection to the wording changes proposed.  Having said that,
    it strikes me as a little meaningless.  How welcoming we are as a
    community will show in our actions.  Unfortunately, there are
    communities that put forth language just like this that are
    are definitely *not* welcoming or constructive places to be ...
    especially if you are of the "wrong sort" (definition of which
    varies of course).

  * As lostinbronx observed, I find the fact that this community hasn't
    had many issues like this noteworthy.  I hope we never lose this
    spirit.  It's always wonderful to see folks encourage one another
    in HPR as they usually do.

  * I'm generally against the notion of a Code of Conduct for reasons that
    others have already more eloquently discussed.  (I.e. it feeds trolls
    and it gives a way for different kinds of trolls to attack the
    community.)

  * I agree that it would have been nice to better understand the nature
    of the harassment.  In particular, I'm curious whether it was occurring
    *through* the HPR platform or whether HPR was just the "hook" by
    which the harasser found a target.  The reason is that I'd be wary of
    getting the community dragged into private arguments.

  * @Paul Quirk -- I like the Emerson quote.  Had to look up the original.
    (which is basically s/harassed/persecuted/g).

Cheers,
 -- Gabriel Evenfire