[Hpr] Should we reject a show with copyrighted fair use clips in it ?

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Thu May 23 03:06:41 PDT 2019

On 23/05/2019 10:47, cobra2 wrote:
> As a member of this community, I will support the host's privilege to upload content. I will also comply with any legal fallout except paying fines and royalties. I'll even support removing the content of the host should the copyright holder request that properly with a DMCA takedown notice.
>
> Is that accepting legal responsibility? Probably not, I'm just thinking back to the older days of RFA and TWAT. They would have posted it.
>
> -- cobra2
>
> On May 23, 2019 9:32:16 AM UTC, Ken Fallon <ken at fallon.ie> wrote:
>> On 2019-05-23 11:28, cobra2 wrote:
>>> I disagree with the be cautious motif. Post the show. Let the
>> copyright holder do their diligence in protecting their 'brand'. Comply
>> with the DMCA request if/when it is delivered.
>>>
>>> We are not here to follow the letter of the law. We are here to
>> spread knowledge and inspire others to try new things.
>>>
>>> Now that being said, I HATE background music through a show. If the
>> content in question is played during the background of the show and is
>> NOT a live performance ...... Kill it with fire.
>>>
>>> My two cents.
>>>
>>> --cobra2
>>
>> Hi cobra2
>>
>> Can I assume then that you will accept legal responsibility for any
>> actions resulting from this show ?
>
> -- cobra2

This email clearly states that Cobra would NOT accept any legal
responsibility of a show containing copyrighted material.

Therefore for him/her to say "just do it" is not acceptable.

Big copyright holders have much deeper pockets than any of us.  And are
likely to defend copyright with considerable aggression and tenacity.

So, reject it.

And watch as HPR does not fade away because we rejected one or two shows
out of hundreds.

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

https://cromarty.github.io/
http://eyesfreelinux.ninja/
http://www.raspberryvi.org/