[Hpr] Should we reject a show with copyrighted fair use clips in it ?

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Thu May 23 08:17:45 PDT 2019

On 2019-05-23 16:53, dosman wrote:
> Does anyone have an example where a DMCA takedown notice resulted in
> anything more than emotional aggravation (assuming immediate compliance
> with the notice)?

A DMCA takedown notice would not even apply here as we intentionally are
posting infringing material.

If it was not mentioned in the show notes, we would not have known and
if the DMCA take down came, I would have just done so. No problem.

There is a small industry of lawyers sending ISP's customers letters
demanding settlement sums in the 1-10K region. The logic is that people
are more likely to settle than go to court.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sending+threatening+letter+copyright+infringement&ia=web

> Ken’s the one who would have to deal with any fallout, so really it’s
> his call. At the same time, considering all the egregious copyright
> violations myself and others who contributed to TWaT and The Packet
> Sniffers committed which have gone un-noticed for over a decade

Back in the twat days and before there was no way to ever get noticed,
because the process of copyright enforcement was not automated. It is
now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam_(application)

Ken Fallon
http://kenfallon.com