[Hpr] Should we reject a show with copyrighted fair use clips in it ?

Carl D Hamann carl.hamann at gmail.com
Thu May 23 08:36:48 PDT 2019

I'm really conflicted about this. I'm firmly in the camp of "reject this
submission" for two reasons:

1. I don't want something to jeopardize the future of HPR
2. I don't want to put undue work or stress on Ken--he does so much for the
community already

However, I'm very upset that I can't think of a better solution. The
current climate of copyright litigation has a tremendously chilling effect
on free speech. I absolutely believe that content creators who wish to
profit from their work should have the ability to do so. But it's also
essential that the public be allowed to criticize it--including parody and
reasonable except. We're caught in the middle, having to choose between
censorship and risking everything the community has built.

I wish there were a better option, but I think we have to reject the show.
Hopefully the host would be willing to resubmit the show including his
commentary about the works but omitting the excerpts (perhaps linking to
them).

-laindir