[Hpr] Note about accessibility in show notes

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Mon Aug 24 09:25:07 PDT 2020

Hello guys and gals,

I'm currently working on a project using Template::Toolkit, and finding
Dave's show notes on this subject very useful.

I have a small favour to ask with reference to writing show notes and
accessibility for those of us using screen readers.

All the screen readers I use have 'landmark' navigation keys.

Typically one can press a particular key and jump between HTML tags.

For example, I can jump from link-to-link using NVDA in Windows with the
'k' key.

And here is the accessibility bit.

If the page is sprinkled with this kind of thing:

href="page">here</a></p>

If I jump to that link, my screen reader says 'here'.  Well, what is here?

Better to write it:

here</a></p>

Markdown allows that kind of thing too.

Thanks.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

https://cromarty.github.io/
http://eyesfreelinux.ninja/
http://www.raspberryvi.org/