[Hpr] Content Query

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Sun Jul 26 13:40:17 PDT 2020

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 07:36:01 PM Ken Fallon wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> If you create material and post it first on HPR then it meets the
> requirements you mention. That means once you upload it to the HPR
> server you can publish it anywhere else you like.
>
> You can ping the janitors at admin at hpr for more technical questions, as
> this list goes to the community.
>
> That said, this question (and three other queries I have had off the
> mail list) does bring a fundamental question as to what HPR is. Are we a
> Content Publication Network like youtube, or are we a Podcast that
> random people contribute to ? Or to put it another way, is the host
> addressing the Internet in general or the HPR Audience ?
>
> I would like to hear the opinions of the community on this please.
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have some ideas and wanted to provide some shows.  I had a question
> > about the interpretation of produced for hacker public radio.
> >
> > "For this reason we are only releasing material created exclusively for
> > HPR."
> >
> > Can I do the show for HPR and then share the show on another community
> > online radio channel later?  If it's CC-BY-SA I'd assume so but wanted
> > to ask before I started working on my ideas.
> >
> > Thank you very much,
> >
> > Marcus

There seem to be 3 use-cases. Created content for:

0. ...HPR and post only to HPR
1. ...HPR and post first to HPR, then post elsewhere
2. ...multiple targets, one of which is HPR

Based on what Stank Dawg has said in response to this thread, 0 and 1 are
easily within the original intent of HPR.

2 seems to require a bunch of parameters to define. On the surface, I think
it's fine, but then again it could be abused. To better define expectations, I'd
like to know what we would classify as abuse.

The things that comes to my mind as abuse:

* A big corporate-style podcast deciding to mirror a show on HPR just to boost
their own signal.
* Any condition resulting in more days a week of mirrored content than of
original content (produced for HPR).
* A media blitz targets every possible outlet, including HPR, in an attempt to
air content on a massive scale. The content may qualify as being of interest
to hackers, but HPR is being used as a small piece in a larger campaign.
* An AI generates unique tech content and posts to HPR. It's valid content,
but is rote and uninteresting.
* Someone seeks to silence the voices of HPR by occupying all available slots
with content that appears to be "of interest to hackers".
* Someone posts disinformation. As this can sometimes be up for debate, it may
or may not always qualify as abuse, but ideally the community will eventually
flag repeat offenses and deal with the content accordingly.

Not abuse:

* A content creator posts audio of programming tutorials to HPR, and
video+audio to youtube, knowing that the audiences are different crowds
* A podcaster doesn't have money for hosting, and so posts their tech podcasts
to HPR, and points to the media in their own RSS feed. Whether or not the
podcaster acknowledges HPR, the head and tail of each show identifies HPR as a
significant "sponsor".
* A big corporate-style podcast decides to mirror an episode or two on HPR,
because they believe the content is especially relevant to our network. This
is done sparingly, maybe once a month. Should they be contacted by HPR, the
podcast staff responds, interacting with the HPR community on a personal level
to explain why they feel HPR is an appropriate outlet for their CC BY-SA
content.
* A content creator produces content for HPR, but is uninteresting and boring
to listen to. Most of our audience skips their episodes.
* A content creator produces content for HPR, but they speak in a heavy accent
and most of our audience cannot understand what they're saying, or the audio
quality is poor.

I don't know the best way to codify something like this. On one hand, I do
think it's important to have this established officially. On the other hand, I
don't think everyone submitting a show needs this level of detail.