[Hpr] Raspberry Pi

George De Bruin sndchaser at cerebralrift.org
Sun Feb 7 11:52:28 PST 2021

I think you responded off-list to a message, as I don't see it in my inbox.

If you are talking about the controversy with the Microsoft Repo being
added to people's RPi's: (a) it's definitely not ruined forever, (b)
it's easily reversed if you don't want it, and (c) it only affects
systems running the official Raspberry Pi OS.

To summarize the issue: Pi users have been finding that the Microsoft
VSCode repository has been silently added to their systems, even if they
aren't using VSCode itself.  There are no packages from the repository
being installed.  The main issue that people have with the repository
being added is that Microsoft's GPG keys are added to their system
automatically without their consent, and even though they aren't using
the repository, the system will ping Microsoft every time you add,
remove or update your packages (or check for updates to the packages).

As I mentioned above, this is pretty easily fixed be removing the
repository file from your system, and creating a un-writeble repo file
in it's place so it doesn't get re-added.  (Here's a video that talks
about the issue, and how to fix it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuYPIohzo2Y).  The other option is to
use a different distribution (like Manjaro) that doesn't have / won't
add the Microsoft repository.  There is a discussion thread about this
on the RaspberryPi forums here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=302591&hilit=Microsoft

So, IMO, yes there is an issue.  However, it's not the end of the world
or the RaspberryPi was we know it.  There are plenty of ways to deal
with it.

George