[Hpr] Regarding episode 3414 and COVID-19 disinformation

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 17 13:59:09 PDT 2021

I totally agree with Brian-In-Ohio, and note that 2 of the those suggesting the episode should be taken down had not at the time of doing so even listened to it.

After 18 months of epidemic surely there can be few people anywhere who have seen, heard and read so little about Covid that listening to one episode is going to change their "world view". I like to think that the typical HPR listener is somebody who will give any host the courtesy of listening to what they have to say, even if they find that they disagree with most of it.

How are we supposed to form balanced views, whether the subject be Covid, politics, religion or anything else if we don't have access to a range of opinions or narratives of people's experiences? Calls to take down episodes that support anything other than a narrow "official" line, to prevent others from having access to an alternative view, really are the thin end of a dangerous wedge.

Brian is right, the "free speech" way to deal with this is for those objecting to submit their own shows, taking issue with points made in the original show. There will undoubtedly be firmly held and logically justifiable views on all sides of the arguments. There are few enough outlets for genuinely free expression these days, and fortunately HPR is one of them. There is nothing in the code of conduct to suggest that shows must be non-critical of one another - as long as they do not descend into personal abuse against a host, of course - and the comments sections allow listeners to express their views as well.

Rather than take down a show that some deem controversial, why not seize this opportunity to invigorate HPR?

Nige

 LibreOffice - Free and open source office suite: LibreOffice Website<https://www.libreoffice.org>