[Hpr] Regarding episode 3414 and COVID-19 disinformation

Klaatu klaatu at mixedsignals.ml
Fri Sep 17 14:15:31 PDT 2021

It is objectively true that people are dying from Covid-19, and if that didn't
concern the Hacker Public Radio community, I'd be saddened and disappointed in
all of us.

Most listeners of HPR are not on this mailing list.  I propose we combat the
disinformation in 3414 with *several* episodes of correct information. I
believe the best cure for ignorance is knowledge.

People already believe that "critical thinking" (read: ignoring scientific
evidence and "doing your own research" even though you have no access to Covid
patients or laboratories) will expose "the truth" behind Covid.  Episode 3414
isn't introducing anybody to these ideas.

Episodes in response to it, however, could be the thing that gives someone the
courage to stop all of their head-in-the-sand "critical thinking" and to start
listening to the experts.

I'm happy to do an episode in response, and in fact I'll post one later today.
I'd be happier still if anybody responding to this thread does the same.

-klaatu