hpr1946 :: Wok Cookery
I prepare a vegetarian version of Chow Mein for my son's visit
Hosted by Dave Morriss on Monday 2016-01-18 is flagged as Explicit and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Tags: cooking,wok,stir-fry,chow mein,noodles,Quorn.
Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (7)
Part of the series: Cooking
Cooking techniques, recipes, recommendations and cooking equipment
Not for the first time I'm following in the footsteps of Frank Bell. Frank did an HPR episode entitled "A Beginner with a Wok", episode number 1787, on 2015-06-09. On it he spoke about his experiences stir-fry cooking using a wok.
Frank got a lot of comments about his episode and there seemed to be an interest in the subject. I have been interested in Chinese, Indonesian and other Far Eastern cookery styles for some time, and do a lot of cooking, so I thought I'd record a show about one of the recipes I use.
My son visits around once a week and eats dinner with me. I offered to cook him my version of Chow Mein, which since he is vegetarian, needed to use no meat. This is my description of the recipe I used.
I loosely based this version of Chow Mein on Ken Hom's recipe in his book Chinese Cookery, page 226. This is from his 1984 BBC TV series, which I watched. I also learnt many of my preparation techniques from Ken Hom's books and TV shows.
I have written out a long set of notes to accompany this episode and these are available here https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr1946/full_shownotes.html.
Apologies for the sounds of a mouse scroll wheel in the audio. I was trying a new microphone position and didn't realise how sensitive it was to these sounds.
- HPR episode 1787, "A Beginner with a Wok", by Frank Bell: https://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1787
- Wikipedia article on Ken Hom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Hom
- Ken Hom's Chinese Cookery:
- 1986 edition (ISBN-13: 978-0060960599): https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Homs-Chinese-Cookery-Hom/dp/0060960590
- 2009 edition (ISBN-13: 978-1846076053): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chinese-Cookery-Ken-Hom/dp/1846076056/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1450957458&sr=1-15
- Wikipedia article on the Green bean: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean
- Wikipedia page on Mange tout: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange_tout
- Wikipedia page on the Snow pea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_pea
- Wikipedia article on Agaricus bisporus, the Chestnut mushroom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_bisporus
- Wikipedia article on the Bean sprout: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_sprout
- Wikipedia article on Quorn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
- Lao Gan Ma website: https://m.laoganma.com.cn/product.aspx
- Wikipedia page for Lao Gan Ma: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_Gan_Ma
Automatically generated using whisper
<< First, < Previous, Next >, Latest >>
whisper --model tiny --language en hpr1946.wav