Me talking about how I've customised dwm, added and removed patches and written various scripts.
Hosted by arfab on 2021-02-18 is flagged as Explicit and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Tags: dwm, suckless, linux, bash, cli.
Listen in ogg,
mp3 format. | Comments (1)
- Intro - video on yt, audio on hpr https://youtu.be/EMFMyxYch14
- Who am I? arfab, clearnitesky, trumpetplanet
- my email has changed since my first hpr episode - thanks lavabit!
- You can now use email@example.com
- My previous episode was 0618
- Story of ricing my own desktop:
- Always been into customising look/feel, never satisfied
- Found Luke Smith and liked i3, made own version.
- Made a website (inspired by disconnecting from social media)
- check out richcolq.xyz and github.com/clearnitesky
- What programs am I using?
- dwm (obviously)
- surf / brave
- sxhkd - various short cuts sorted by purpose
- my status stuff using dwmstat script
- a look in
- I recently learned about awk and rewrote all icon scripts which is what inspired me to record this episode.
- What next?
- Is it necessary to patch dwm? Probably not.
I've come to believe that the real value in these experiments has come from my custom status scripts and keyboard shortcuts - not from patching new features into dwm. It does what I need it to (manage windows!)
- Thanks for watching!
Comment #1 posted on 2021-02-19T11:34:14Z by mcnalu
Might return to dwm
Enjoyed this episode which I began listening to and then switched over to the video version.
I used dwm as my main desktop many years ago, perhaps 8 or so, and it brought my rather underpowered laptop alive. In the end I abandoned dwm because I had to use netbeans everyday and for reasons I never understood it wouldn't work with dwm. I'm back with KDE again for now - yes, I like extremes! - but you've nudged me into giving down another whirl.
<< First, < Previous, Next >, Latest >>
Note to Verbose Commenters
If you can't fit everything you want to say in the comment below then you really should record a response show instead.
Note to Spammers
All comments are moderated. All links are checked by humans. We strip out all html. Feel free to record a show about yourself, or your industry, or any other topic we may find interesting. We also check shows for spam :).