hpr3439 :: Linux Inlaws S01E40: The One with the BSDs
The other One Operating System to Rule them all
Hosted by monochromec on Thursday 2021-10-07 is flagged as Explicit and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Tags: Berkeley Software Distribution, library operating systems, Android, Copyleft, BSD License, Usenet.
Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (2)
Part of the series: Linux Inlaws
This is Linux Inlaws, a series on free and open source software, black humour, the revolution and freedom in general (this includes ideas and software) and generally having fun.
In this episode, Martin and Chris host an eclectic panel of contributors to the *other* major FLOSS operating system family - you guessed it: the flavours of the Berkeley Software Distribution (aka BSD among friends). Disclaimer: you may be tempted to diverge from the Path of the Righteousness also known as Linux and give this alternative a spin. So this episode is *not* for the faint-hearted - listen at your own discretion! Also: the true defective nature of our beloved (?) hosts' past will be revealed - an episode not be missed despite the caveat! Plus a refresher on spaced-out operating system concepts including library operating systems and a rant on Android and friends. In addition to some cool BSD trolling...
- OpenBSD: https://www.openbsd.org
- FeeBSD: https://www.freebsd.org
- NetBSD: https://www.netbsd.org
- DragonFlyBSD: https://www.dragonflybsd.org
- 386BSD: https://www.386bsd.org
- RUMP kernel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rump_kernel
- Library operating systems: https://www.sigarch.org/leave-your-os-at-home-the-rise-of-library-operating-systems
- Free BSD Linux Compatibility: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/linuxemu
- BSD Jails (original paper): https://papers.freebsd.org/2000/phk-jails.files/sane2000-jail.pdf
- FeeBSD Ports: https://www.freebsd.org/ports
- NetBSD pkgsrc: https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc
- ZFS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS
- BSD's pledge: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/410056/what-is-openbsds-pledge-in-short
- FreeBSD and Netflix: https://papers.freebsd.org/2019/fosdem/looney-netflix_and_freebsd
- BSD Firewalls: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/firewalls
- Michael W. Lucas' "Savaged by Systemd": hhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36190710-savaged-by-systemd
- Linux vs. Minix: https://www.oreilly.com/openbook/opensources/book/appa.html
- Pegasus spyware: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware)
- BSD History presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEEr6dT-4uQ
- The tragedy of systemd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
- The Rise and Fall of Copyleft: https://archive.org/download/OhioLinuxfest2013/24-Rob_Landley-The_Rise_and_Fall_of_Copyleft.mp3
Automatically generated using whisper
<< First, < Previous, Next >, Latest >>
whisper --model tiny --language en hpr3439.wav