Site Map - skip to main content

Hacker Public Radio

Your ideas, projects, opinions - podcasted.

New episodes Monday through Friday.

hpr3534 :: Vernier caliper

Ken recommends a very useful tool for measuring stuff

<< First, < Previous, Latest >>

Host Image
Hosted by Ken Fallon on Thursday 2022-02-17 is flagged as Clean and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Tags: Vernier Caliper,measurement.

Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (4)

In today's show Ken recommends a fairly affordable tool for measuring all sorts of dimensions.

An image of a Vernier caliper

From Wikipedia

  1. Outside large jaws: used to measure external diameter of an object (like a hollow cylinder) or width of an object (like a rod), diameter of an object (like a sphere).
  2. Inside small jaws: used to measure the internal diameter of an object (like a hollow cylinder or pipe).
  3. Depth probe/rod: used to measure depths of an object (like a small beaker) or a hole.
  4. Main scale (Metric): marked every millimeter and helps to measure length correct up to 1 mm.
  5. Main scale (Imperial): marked in inches and fractions.
  6. Vernier scale (Metric) gives interpolated measurements to 0.1 mm or better.
  7. Vernier scale (Imperial) gives interpolated measurements in fractions of an inch.
  8. Retainer: used to block movable part to allow the easy transferring of a measurement.

Show Transcript

Automatically generated using whisper

whisper --model tiny --language en hpr3534.wav

<< First, < Previous, Latest >>


Subscribe to the comments RSS feed.

Comment #1 posted on 2022-02-18T18:34:53Z by Aaronb

At 66 Years old. . . .

I bought one about 4 years ago. I'm surprised how much I use it. Here is a nice youtube video that show how even cheap ebay versions of electronic ones are great.

Comment #2 posted on 2022-02-18T18:36:35Z by Aaronb

sorry forgot the Link

Comment #3 posted on 2022-03-10T14:36:35Z by Michael

Unit missmatch

Hi Ken,

nice show!
I assume your pencil is 7.5mm in diameter, not cm. Just stating the obvious, because noone else did till now :-)


Comment #4 posted on 2022-04-16T12:38:43Z by Kevin O'Brien

Taking me back

Back around 1969 I had a job working in a gage calibration lab. Gages are used in manufacturing to test the dimensions of pieces as they complete a step, and come in pairs of Go/NoGo. Gages allowed for very quick tests on the line by operators. Our lab had to verify that the gages were correct. We also calibrated vernier calipers with gage blocks. Also, I did not misspell gage. That is the correct spelling for this type of device.

<< First, < Previous, Latest >>

Leave Comment

Note to Verbose Commenters
If you can't fit everything you want to say in the comment below then you really should record a response show instead.

Note to Spammers
All comments are moderated. All links are checked by humans. We strip out all html. Feel free to record a show about yourself, or your industry, or any other topic we may find interesting. We also check shows for spam :).

Provide feedback
Your Name/Handle:
Anti Spam Question: What does the P in HPR stand for ?
Are you a spammer →
Who hosted this show →
What does HPR mean to you ?