hpr3588 :: Linux Inlaws S01E55: Get yer boots on for a fresh look at init systems
Martin and Chris discuss what happens when you turn on a computer (preferably running Linux)
Hosted by monochromec on Wednesday 2022-05-04 is flagged as Explicit and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Tags: init, SysVInit, Upstart, systemd, GRUB, Unix philosophy, Hello Magazine.
Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (3)
Part of the series: Linux Inlaws
This is Linux Inlaws, a series on free and open source software, black humour, the revolution and freedom in general (this includes ideas and software) and generally having fun.
In this episode, Martin and Chris discuss init systems and Chris outs himself as a systemd fan boy (Devuan followers take note :-). Even Linux and other FLOSS OS geeks not interested in what happens when you flick the power switch on a computer may find this episode (vaguely) interesting as some light is also shed on the philosophy of the different system architectures and their history (Ever wanted to know what an /360 IPL really is? Then stay tuned...). Disclosure: The following text may resort to regular expressions to keep things concise and simple. Some of the PCRE-challenged readers may take offence - you have been warned.
- Booting a PC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting#Personal_computers_(PC)
- GRUB: https://www.gnu.org/software/grub
- ([A-Z][a-z]+ux) Init systems (general overview): https://arxiv.org/pdf/0706.2748v1.pdf
- SysV init: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Init#SysV-style
- systemd: https://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html
- OpenRC: https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc
- Canonical's Upstart: https://upstart.ubuntu.com
- Switch from upstart to systemd: https://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316
- Runlevels: https://www.linfo.org/runlevel_def.html
- Serial console: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/serial-console.html
- Hello Magazine: https://www.hellomagazine.com
- Unix philosophy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
- And in much more detail: https://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html
- Devuan: https://www.devuan.org
Automatically generated using whisper
<< First, < Previous, Next >, Latest >>
whisper --model tiny --language en hpr3588.wav