hpr3609 :: Linux Inlaws S01E57: Operating System Level Virtualisation and Martin's Faith
An in-depth discussion about Jails, Containers, religion and others sorts of confinement
Hosted by monochromec on Thursday 2022-06-02 is flagged as Explicit and is released under a CC-BY-SA license.
Tags: Celts, Celtic languages, Containers, Jails, Zones, Docker, CRI-O, From Dusk till Dawn, religion.
Listen in ogg, spx, or mp3 format. | Comments (1)
Part of the series: Linux Inlaws
This is Linux Inlaws, a series on free and open source software, black humour, the revolution and freedom in general (this includes ideas and software) and generally having fun.
In this episode our two ageing heroes take a closer at operating system (OS) level virtualisation. The main different legacy virtualisation technologies like virtual machines (VMs) and this new-fangled approach is that the OS kernel remains the same across virtualisation domains, thus giving the hippsters and other followers of fashion a cheaper and potentially much faster solution than virtualising the kernel and surrounding hawrdware and all the rest of it. Plus more details on Martin's real faith. Don't miss out on this episode if you're interested in any of these...
- Craíc: https://www.irelandlogue.com/irish-slang/irish-slang.html
- Celts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts
- Celtic languages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_languages#Living_languages
- [a-zA-Z]+ Virtualisation: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/VMware_paravirtualization.pdf
- Hypervisor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor
- BSD Jails: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/jails
- Solaris Zones: https://www.oracle.com/technical-resources/articles/it-infrastructure/o11-092-s11-zones-intro.html
- Docker: https://docs.docker.com/engine
- LXC: https://linuxcontainers.org
- Open Container Iniative: https://opencontainers.org
- Podman: https://podman.io
- Double-fork: https://thelinuxjedi.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-use-double-fork-to-daemonize.html
- CRI-O: https://github.com/cri-o/cri-o
- CGroups: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/cgroup-v2.html
- Namespaces: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_namespaces
- The gory details: https://www.haifux.org/lectures/299/netLec7.pdf
- Dockerfiles: https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/builder
- Containerd: https://containerd.io
- From Dusk Till Dawn (TV series): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Dusk_till_Dawn:_The_Series
Automatically generated using whisper
<< First, < Previous, Next >, Latest >>
whisper --model tiny --language en hpr3609.wav