Crouching laptop, hidden server (part 0).
- Archer72's system: Acer
- CPU: Intel Core i3 2350M (2.3 GHz max, 2 cores, 3MB cache).
- RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM (2 x 2GB currently, 2 x 4GB upgrade planned).
- Video: Integrated Intel GMA HD 3000.
- DISK: 120GB SATA SSD.
- NIC: Integrated 1000 mbps.
- 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi.
- Bluetooth not installed.
- SGOTI's system: HP Notebook
- CPU: Intel Core i3-8130U (2.2 GHz - 4 GHz max, 2 cores, 4MB cache).
- RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8GB, upgraded).
- Video: Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620.
- DISK: 1TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD (with empty m.2 SATA slot).
- NIC: Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN.
- 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.2 combo.
Software and documumentation mentioned during the show.
- Running Laptop, server style, with the Lid closed.
- Edit logind.conf
sudo vim /etc/systemd/logind.conf.
- Remove the
#from these lines then set values to
- Save then quit.
- I'm not going to tell you how ;)
- Finally, restart systemd-logind.
sudo systemctl restart systemd-logind.service
- Edit logind.conf
Way of the Archer72.
- Proxmox Homepage.
- Proxmox VE is a complete open-source platform for enterprise virtualization. With the built-in web interface you can easily manage VMs and containers, software-defined storage and networking, high-availability clustering, and multiple out-of-the-box tools on a single solution.
- Proxmox backup documentation.
- Proxmox backup documentation .pdf download.
- Proxmox video tutorials
- Proxmox wiki.
- Proxmox vLAN networking information.
- Proxmox NAT config information.
- Youtube video: install/config Proxmox.
- Duck DNS
- hosted on AWS, with no upfront cost to the user.
- Dynamic DNS service; dynamically update DNS records without the need for human interaction. Connect to your home/local network from a remote network using a domain name instead of an IP address.
Way of the SGOTI.
Documentation: Creating guests with
- RHEL 9 product documentation list
- You can use the
virt-installcommand to create virtual machines and install operating system on those virtual machines from the command line.
virt-installcan be used either interactively or as part of a script to automate the creation of virtual machines.
virt-managerapplication is a desktop user interface for managing virtual machines through libvirt. It primarily targets KVM VMs, but also manages Xen and LXC (linux containers).
virt-installis a command line tool which provides an easy way to provision operating systems into virtual machines.
virt-vieweris a lightweight UI interface for interacting with the graphical display of virtualized guest OS. It can display VNC or SPICE, and uses libvirt to lookup the graphical connection details.
virt-cloneis a command line tool for cloning existing inactive guests. It copies the disk images, and defines a config with new name, UUID and MAC address pointing to the copied disks.
virt-xmlis a command line tool for easily editing libvirt domain XML using virt-install’s command line options.
virt-bootstrapis a command line tool providing an easy way to setup the root file system for libvirt-based containers.
- qemu documentation
- KVM homepage
- KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a full virtualization solution for Linux on x86 hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT or AMD-V). It consists of a loadable kernel module, kvm.ko, that provides the core virtualization infrastructure and a processor specific module, kvm-intel.ko or kvm-amd.ko.
- Using KVM, one can run multiple virtual machines running unmodified Linux or Windows images. Each virtual machine has private virtualized hardware: a network card, disk, graphics adapter, etc.
video: Fedora server on a Laptop.
- 14:45, editing /etc/systemd/logind.conf
- Youtube video: Deploying Nextcloud AIO containers.
- What is an IP address?
- What's my IP address?
- What is DDNS?
- Cloudflare DDNS glossary
- How To Forward a Port.
- A port forward is a way of making a computer on your home or business network accessible to computers on the internet, even though they are behind a router or firewall. It is commonly used in gaming, security cameras, home automation, and the Internet of Things (IoT). Port forwards are setup in your router. A forwarded port is also known as open. After you have forwarded a port you have an open port.
- List of DDNS solutions (with no upfront cost to the user).
- Duck Duck Go Search for Dynamic DNS