[Hpr] Apologies to the Linux Inlaws

Ken Fallon ken at fallon.ie
Mon Sep 5 04:43:08 PDT 2022

On 2022-09-04 03:42, Jason Dodd wrote:
> Perhaps but I think a couple of people have explained it to me. I
> consider all of my shows a series of my podcast that I make to host on
> hpr.  Appears I've misunderstood HPR since the TWAT days. That's fine
> and no hard feelings.  On the contrary I'm glad to have my
> understanding corrected.

Even back in the TWAT days, hosts produced shows for TWAT(aka HPR) and
also produced their own shows for their own podcasts. Dann and Pat
posted different shows to TWAT, but also posted to TLLTS. Same is true
for Droops who also posted different shows to Infonomicon.

> My next show was going to be titled, "That's Dummy ep 01"  Or rather,
> it still will be just not on hpr :)

If you are doing you're own standalone podcast, we can include one show
for promotional purposes

https://hackerpublicradio.org/stuff_you_need_to_know.php#syndication

<quote>

/HPR is founded on the principle of Hackers sharing knowledge. For this
reason we are only releasing material created exclusively for HPR. We
will continue to promote new podcasts and other creative commons
material, but if you wish to have your show promoted, then please
contact our sister site //Free Culture Podcasts
<https://freeculturepodcasts.org/>//. /

//

/That said, if there is a piece of creative commons content that you
would like to promote, then feel free to record a regular show. There
you can introduce the content and explain why it is important, providing
links to where we can get more information etc., and then include one
example episode. /

</quote>

On 2022-09-03 18:45, Jason Dodd wrote:
> This whole thing has moved me firmly into the listener side of the
> house. If Linux Inlaws isn't for HPR, none of my content would be.

Linux Inlaws content is definitely something that we want here on HPR.
Some people don't like their shows, and they are entitled to that
opinion, however I think it's safe to say that most people do enjoy at
least some of their content.

So it's not about the content, it's never been about the content. It's
about the point *is HPR a podcast, or a podcast hosting platform*. I
know monochromec doesn't care about this but we do. We do not want to
host other peoples podcasts, not because we don't like the content, but
because we do not have the slots available to cater for all the shows
that would want to join.

Taking an example. If they record an interview with Linus, there would
be no question but we would all love to hear it. However if they want to
have it on HPR, then it needs to be produced for HPR. So I would expect
to hear, "Hi Linus, thanks for taking the time to talk to us here on
Hacker Public Radio" etc.

To put it another way, you could compare it to the aversion that BSD has
to running GPL code. (Our license are both CC-BY-SA so don't take this
literally). It might be the same 1's and 0's that are been used, but
it's the authors approach to the code distribution that is the issue.

So I am sure your content will be "of interest to hackers", and as we
are dedicated to sharing knowledge we will help you in any way we can.
If you want to have it released on HPR that's fine, but make sure it's
intended to be a show on the HPR Podcast. If you're going it alone then
that's also fine and we'll offer tips and advise as we always do.

Ken Fallon (PA7KEN,G5KEN)
https://kenfallon.com
https://hackerpublicradio.org/hosts/ken_fallon