So you want to do a podcast ?
Well you've come to the right place. Our goal here at HPR is to make it as easy as possible for you to get a podcast released. We take care of the hard bits so you don't need to. Recording your first show is always a daunting prospect but over 245 people like yourself have done it and so can you.
Stuff you need to know
- HPR will stop as a project if there are not enough Shows.
- We do not syndicate shows not produced for HPR.
- You are agreeing to license your show CC-BY-SA.
- You have permission to redistribute your show in its entirety.
- Your show will not be moderated.
- Your show will be signaled as containing explicit content.
- You determine where in the schedule your show will be released.
- We use UTF-8 end to end.
- Your show will be heard by an International Audience.
- We also need emergency shows.
- You will no longer be allowed to edit HPR pages on Wikipedia.
Select a Topic
The first thing you will need to do is decide on a topic for your show. You might already have an idea but if not you can have a look at our Archive page for examples of shows people have recorded in the past. You can also look at our Requested Topics, or our Series page to see if you can add your knowledge to the pool.
Record your show
Please select more detailed information on how to record a show:
- Recording with the telephone.
- Recording with a portable media player.
- Recording/Editing using your Computer.
- Recording Interviews with the Phone.
- Recording round table discussions.
- Avoid Bedding/background music.
- We mix down to Mono.
- No need to add Metadata to the file.
Don't forget to introduce yourself in your show.
Requesting a slot for your show
You can post your show, or reserve a slot by going to the Calendar page. Once you have selected a date you will be redirected to the request page, where you will be asked to select your show and email address. We will send a link to where you can upload your show to this address and so it must be a valid working address that you can access quickly. We use GPG to speed up the validation of hosts, so you may wish to use an email address that has an associated public key available on public key servers.
Whether you want to do one show, or you have other plans, just email "admin" at "hackerpublicradio.org", and we’ll get in touch with you with all you need to know about getting your show published.
You can chat with other podcasters using IRC in the #oggcastplanet channel on the freenode.net network. Follow us on identi.ca (use the tag !hpr) and on Twitter (use the tag #hpr). We have a Facebook and LinkedIn group, so please join and spread the word.
Fellow listeners like yourself contribute the shows and so we know how hard it is to do that first show. You're probably worried that we won't like the topic -well don't be, have a look at our archive to see how diverse the contributions have been. You're probably worried about the quality of your audio, that you sound funny, that English isn't your native language, that you suffer from a speech impediment, that your show has loads of ummms and awws in it, well don't. Well we have seen it all and at the end of the day the show is about the content and not the quality of the audio. That's not to say we won't help you with ways to help you improve the audio if you wish, or narrate your script if you can't or won't record it yourself. Drop into the IRC channel #oggcastplanet where there are people who will help.
Any audio is better than no audio.
If you have any questions about audio quality, then drop into the #oggcastplanet channel on freenode and talk(ok type) to a live person 24/7.